We get lots of questions about contact management. First, let’s all agree that managing your personal contact lists – with all the sources of information that want to sync all the time – is less than easy or obvious. Maybe we could say it is a source of constant pain and frustration. Regardless of how you are currently handling that mess, CallPlease offers a number of ways for you to integrate your current contact management scenario into your CallPlease world so that contacts populate automagically.
CallPlease IS NOT DESIGNED TO BE YOUR CONTACT LIST OF RECORD. When you add somebody to your CallPlease Address Book, we offer to send you the vCard because we don’t offer any good or easy way to manage large lists. Integration with Google Contacts, Officer 365 and other contact list systems is coming in September 2018!
UPDATE (7/23/18): You can now download full address books from the Address Books section for each, Exec, Shared Log, Department and for the company at large. Go here [https://webapp.callplease.com/webapp/address-books.html ] and look for this icon:
There is a detailed explanation of each one, but first the list, in order of our intended use:
- The Exec/Boss uses the Sync Contacts function on their smartphone to upload the most current version of their contacts to CallPlease. This is the first place that the web console looks for contacts when you are adding a call.
- Upload a vCard or CSV in the web console. Each Exec, Shared Call Log and Department (Departments are only available in the Enterprise Edition).
- Add Contacts Individually. Not really a great option, but it’s there.
One big thing to remember: the SYNC CONTACTS function over-writes the personal contact list for an Exec. So even if you add a contact by hand or have uploaded a list, that get’s blown away if/when the Exec sync their phone contacts. WHY? Because we think you should be managing your contacts somewhere else and the easiest place to access the list that is most likely accurate is the phone of the Exec. This sync never happens automatically, so you can choose to only use uploads if you like.
Now, the details from the CallPlease User Guide:
Before adding calls in CallPlease, it is useful for the Executive to synchronize his or her contacts into CallPlease. This saves times when making and logging calls by having your synched contacts auto-populate when adding a call. Please note that CallPlease does not become/replace your primary contact management system – it works by synchronizing from your main Contacts.
An Executive can easily and quickly synchronize their personal address book into CallPlease using the Mobile App. Once downloaded, anyone associated with the Executive can access those contacts from the Web app.
To synchronize the address book in the Mobile App,
- Click the three dots in the top right corner of the App
- Go to the Settings
- Select Sync Contacts
- Tap on the SYNC CONTACTS button
- Tip: Sync Contacts will sync your current contact list with CallPlease so the information is accessible via the device and web portal (by you and your Assistant). Syncing Contacts is not automatic. As you make updates to your contacts outside of CallPlease, we recommend re-syncing in the app from time to time. Also, by “sync” we really mean “entirely replace.” No information from CallPlease returns to your phone. It is a one-way information transfer from phone to system.
For All Other Address Books or for Manual Updates:
Here’s how you import your existing contacts using the Web app:
- From your current contact management system (Outlook, Contacts, etc.), export either a vCard or CSV file. (See detailed directions above)
- Then pick the tab related to the type of address book and import the file ( Exec/Shared Call Logs, Department [this is an Enterprise feature], or Company-Wide).
- Note that if you are importing for an Executive, Shared Call Log or Department, you must first pick the name associated with the address book (such as department or shared call log name).
Note: You can also edit/delete existing entries and manually add new ones. Once you pick the type of address book and the call log owner, use the Search and Add buttons.
One more note: As new call messages are added into CallPlease, if the caller is not known to the address book, that person is NOT automatically added. If the setting to receive vCard entries of new additions is turned on, the Exec or members of the Shared Call Log will receive a vCard in their email so they can add that person to their contact management system (usually with one click and an approval). Access this setting from your personal menu (the one at the top right with your name) under Profile & Call Settings.
If you are thinking that perhaps CallPlease should have a really robust Contact Management function, you aren’t alone. We will be releasing updates that allow syncing to Google, Outlook, Salesforce and perhaps a handful of other REAL contact management solutions.
For now, it is best to get good at sharing contacts with your team in the ways that the tools intended. Some suggestions:
Apple Family Sharing features: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8370690?language=en